7 February 2013

THE POPPOO



I missed the start to this radio broadcast of the Finnish band The Poppoo but I often come back to this recording as it has a real feel-good factor.  I was at a low point in my life at the time and maybe its cheering me up has left a fondness for it.  Anyway that's from my personal perspective, but I hope if you bother that some cheeriness will rub off on you too.

Jukka Perko,  sax
Severi Pyysalo,  vibes, keyboards
Ville Huolman,  bass
Teppo Makynen,  drums

1.  Unknown title
2.  Ain't no sunshine
3.  Tango catastrophique
4.  Dancing Queen

BBC Radio 3.  Jazz on 3.  1999

8 comments:

Andy said...

FLAC

Rapidshare

http://rapidshare.com/files/2127084465/THE%20POPPOO.rar

Mega

https://mega.co.nz/#!9EUyFI4L!MCa1CDyd4Avhe5XQlOPlpCfql1o9mlis0aPIw8xAeWM

softnucleus said...

Hey Andy, what a nice surprise! Grazie-Kiitos-Thank you! Although I'm interested in the Finnish scene (and Finnish girls!) and although I know the single members, I confess that I didn't know this fantastic band. Unbelievable the arrangement of the Abba song. Any idea about the complete recording date-place?

Andy said...

Hi softnucleus. Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you like it. I'm afraid I have no further info. There are also some other tunes in there I don't know the name of. Good man.

softnucleus said...

Ok Andy. Will try to get more info from a very special guy of Finnish Jazz, good friend of mine.

Wallofsound said...

Thanks Andy. I really enjoyed this at the time of broadcast, I seem to remember. Dancing Queen is much better as a drum solo, I find.

vilstef said...

Thanks, Andy!

I've never heard of this group of musicians and the only artist I can think to compare their sound to is Mark Sandman and Morphine.

JD said...

@Andy - the show was recorded at the EBU Jazz Festival in May 1999, as part of the Karlovi Vari International Jazz Festival In Prague, Czech Republic. I recorded it off the radio myself and posted it more than a year ago at a private blog. I made a sleeve for my copy, on which I put down track one as 'Summertime', which is in there somewhere!! Here for you and our other blogging friends is a link for the cover:

http://rapidshare.com/files/1494227186/oop.zip

Andy said...

JD. Thanks very much indeed for that. Andy